Aureus Group has been a long-time supporter of the Nebraska Hospital Association. My colleague, Linn Davidson, and I had the opportunity to attend the NHA 2017 Advocacy Day. This is an educational day on both state and federal legislative issues for Nebraska healthcare leaders and state senators.
This day had many key topics and speakers. The topics ranged from population health to the potential repeal and replacement of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The speakers included Senator Jim Scheer, Dr. Don Bradley, Calder Lynch, and Paul Muraca. From my perspective, all of these speakers are influencers among their fields and will help shape healthcare for tomorrow.
Here were some of the key takeaways:
- Healthcare reform is accelerating
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is full steam ahead with value-based reimbursement
- Hospital readmission rates are down overall
- Reimbursement for Medicaid to hospitals is tightening and next year is not expected to be any better
- Nebraska is ranked 12th in America’s health ranking for healthy citizens, yet health outcomes across the state are variable
Trends that were discussed included:
- Tele-health services in rural communities
- Greater use of nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Increase in urgent care clinics
- Have practitioners work at the top of their licenses
Overall, this was a tremendous event put on by the NHA. We look forward to future events and the opportunity to continue to learn about the ever-changing healthcare environment.
Mike joined Aureus Group Healthcare Administration in February 2014. As an Account Manager he brings several years of experience in healthcare recruiting and has proven to have the ability to meet both client and candidate expectations. Prior to joining Aureus Group, Mike worked for a national allied healthcare search firm and won Allied Recruiter in 2012. Mike has a bachelor’s degree in nutrition, health and exercise science from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, NE.