Twenty five percent. That is how much of this year has come and gone. Time is a tricky thing. There’s never enough of it, yet we let it slip out of our fingers every single day. Aaron Davis is a motivational speaker, and if you haven’t heard him speak previously, please reach out to him about presenting at one of your company events. He is outstanding, and can make an immediate impact. There’s my plug for Aaron Davis; now I’ll get back on track. Aaron came and spoke to a group from our company a couple of weeks ago. Like usual, he hit it out of the park and I left encouraged, refreshed, and re-energized. Here are some of his points that really stuck with me.
- Be present. Don’t just physically “be here,” actually be present. Pay attention to where you are today. You only get today once so don’t miss out on it. Don’t miss out on the conversations you can be a part of, the influence and insight you can provide someone, the fun you can have, the love and support you can show. This may sound a bit morbid, but I think about the end of my life a lot. I try to motivate myself with that at the end I don’t want to wish I could have done more or wish I worked harder or did more. Now I understand there are bad days and there are times where we can always do more, but did I live today to its fullest?
- Talk to yourself. Unashamedly I can be found talking to myself at the grocery store, my apartment, work, you name it. At least I always have someone to listen! Unfortunately, that is not what Aaron was referring to. He meant positive self-talk. Here is a good thermometer for how you’re doing in this area: “Would you allow someone to talk to you the way you’re talking to you?” That hit home for me. I am not a good example here because often times I am thinking poorly of myself and believing lies. I would fight back if someone else said negative things about me. It is a lot easier for me to be gracious to others than to myself, so something I have personally tried to implement is asking myself, “If (insert name) came to me with the same issue, how would I tell them to handle it? How would I encourage them?”
- Don’t chase success. Aaron said, “It’s not success if you have to walk all over someone to get there.” Just work hard. Do your part, do the right thing, and things will fall into place.
- Don’t seek happiness – seek to be better. Some things that make us feel happy aren’t things that are healthy for our lives. Happiness is fleeting, but joy lasts forever. No matter the circumstance, you can still have joy. Be better and seek to have joy. Think about our world – if everyone just sought to do one thing every day that would make them better or someone else better, our world would change.
- Focus on “Get to.” I have caught myself saying “Have to” a lot lately. I don’t have to do anything. I get to. I get to get out of bed and come to work every morning. I get to cook dinner. I get to clean the apartment. I get to hang out with my friends. I get to help babysit. If our attitude about life is have to we’re in for a long haul. Change the word. I challenge you for one week. When you are tempted to say you have to do something or you do say you have to do something quickly change your mind or rephrase your sentence. Maybe even just that way of thinking could change how you feel about things.
Again, in most if not all of these areas, I am not the example. I am writing about it because they are areas that I need to work on. I am hoping that sharing with you what I am learning will help me learn more quickly! Life is hard, days are hard, but at least we have them. At least we have life. We got to wake up today. One quarter gone. We don’t get that 25 percent back, so don’t dwell on it but rather focus on what you can do with the rest of the 75 percent. Take one day at a time and don’t miss a beat. I am going to focus on these areas. Feel free to check in on me and see how I am doing. Help hold me accountable. What are you committing to for the last three quarters of 2017?
Chelsea Liska has been with Aureus Group since September 2011, and currently is a Senior Recruiter for the Iowa and Kansas City markets. Chelsea helps train, mentor, and coach new recruiters. She gets to do what she loves every day by helping to develop and build colleagues. Chelsea also gets to be a part of top notch finance and accounting candidates’ career decisions and moves. She loves when she is able to use her skills to help someone and give them an amazing experience in their career search. Every day Chelsea gets to be a part of a company that is building into her so that she can build into others. When she isn’t working, she is active in her church. Chelsea loves being active and playing volleyball, golf, working out, and hanging out with her friends and family. Binge watching her favorite shows is definitely a notable skill! She is personally and professionally committed to being an “Energy Ambassador!”