What do you talk about around the Thanksgiving dinner table? Most of us have a tradition of sharing what we are thankful for.
In my family we talk TURKEY. My Dad used to raise and give homegrown turkeys to his customers at Thanksgiving time. This meant that my siblings and I had to feed them, and when it came time, help prepare them for gift giving. We kept this task quiet at school. The other result of my father’s generosity was that my Mom could fix all kinds of turkey cuisine, including but not limited to, casserole, noodle gravy, “meat” loaf, and the delicious traditional golden brown thanksgiving entrée.
Turkeys can be prepared and presented many different ways. However, in my opinion they are meant to be roasted, carved, and served with cranberries. When you alter a turkey’s destiny, it lessens their value. Every person has a destiny too. We have our innate characteristics, talents, skills, experiences, and knowledge. Align them appropriately with goals and culture to secure fun, productive teams. If you don’t carefully select your teammates, you may get all kinds of results, low productivity, frustration, turnover, and sleepless nights.
Attracting, recruiting, and retaining TOP TALENT (aka SQUIRRELS) requires the following:
- Performance-based job descriptions outlining talents and culture fit are required to get the job done…not to get the job
- Compelling story aligning business goals with career roadmap
- Proactive sourcing and marketing of the position vs. posting the job
- Choose quality over quantity by spending more time with fewer people
- Set clear expectations and plan for wild success. This process is intense and requires building relationships, engaged hiring managers, and skilled recruiters and resourceful sourcers, not to mention a company that believes the caliber of their people is the key to their success. The companies that will win the talent war are more interested in quality hires rather than reducing costs. One bad hire is more expensive than anyone can quantify.
Don’t hire turkeys to climb trees. Align talent.
Chris Carlson, Managing Director
Chris is an experienced executive in the staffing industry. She has developed operational analyses, implemented programs /compensation plans, and has assisted hundreds of firms streamline processes and upgrade the competencies of their workforce. Finding innovative ways to generate new business, isolate top talent, and build teams is her passion. She has designed and executed many successful strategic marketing /recruiting plans and promotions. Chris began her career at Aureus Group, a full-service professional recruiting firm, in 1994 and currently serves as the Managing Director of Aureus Group specializing in the Finance and Accounting, Information Systems, and Executive Leadership roles in all industries including; Healthcare Administration, Banking, Finance, Insurance, Commercial Services, and Manufacturing. In addition, Chris is a Certified Professional Consultant, and has an Executive Masters of Business Administration degree from the University of Nebraska at Omaha.