Fall is my FAVORITE part of year – the temperatures are perfect (well, with the exception of the last few weeks!), the leaves are changing, and there is pumpkin flavored everything, everywhere. It is the perfect time to get outdoors and enjoy time with family and friends. If you, like many people, don’t always know the happenings around you, I’m here to get your mind off of work for a little while and give you some refreshing weekend activities that are going on in your town!
Because Aureus Group has a strong Midwest presence, with three of our major markets being Omaha, NE, Des Moines, IA, and the greater Kansas City metro, I’ve jotted down a few ideas to get your fall fun started.
- Omaha Coffee & Donut Festival, October 14 – For the first time, Omaha is putting on a festival dedicated to two of the BEST breakfast items… coffee and donuts! Enjoy live music, life size games, and prizes, all while enjoying some of the best coffee and donuts Omaha has to offer.
- Okto Beerfest, October 14 – Okay, so this one is technically in Lincoln, but with over 200 beers from around the world, this is definitely worth making the short drive! Enjoy live music, entertainment, and even an auction all while sipping your favorite brew, or a completely new brew!
- Baseballoween, October 27 – Head on out to Werner Park if you love both baseball AND Halloween. This free event will feature the movie “Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman” with fireworks to follow!
Des Moines, IA
- The Covered Bridge Festival, October 14 & 15 – Remember the ’95 film starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep, “The Bridges of Madison County”? Fun fact, it was actually filmed in Iowa! Visit the filming locations during the weekend festival and enjoy food, live entertainment, a parade, and, if you’re feeling up to it, a 5K run/walk!
- Night Eyes, October 19-22 & 26-29 – Looking for a safe, non-scary event for the kids? Check out Blank Park Zoo’s annual Halloween event! Dress up the kids and take them trick-or-treating while enjoying some zoo animals.
- East Village Spooky Paws Parade, October 29 – Looking for something fun for the whole family, including the four legged members? Check out the dog-themed parade in the East Village! Put a costume on your pup and flaunt them through the city. Make sure your costume is unique because there will be prizes!
Kansas City, MO/KS
- Kansas City Renaissance Festival, Weekend of October 10 – There is still one weekend left to get down to Bonner Springs, KS to visit one of the coolest events, the Renaissance Faire! Enjoy comedy acts, music, food, jousting, and some of the best people watching.
- The Liberty Corn Maze, September 29 to October 27 – This recurring even takes place every Friday. This is a fun alternative to the ever popular haunted house. Instead of going through this monster maze during the day, this is the opportunity to go through it in the dark with flashlights! Why get lost in broad daylight when you can get lost in pitch black conditions?
- Halloween Haunt at Worlds of Fun, September 29 to October 28 – If rollercoasters and Halloween are your two favorite things, then this is the event for you! Worlds of Fun turns into a large haunted house and new this year, they will be bringing a cirque-style show with acrobatic skeletons!
To find the events that are of most interest to you, check out the below websites. There is no better time than fall to enjoy YOUR favorite city!
Casey has been with Aureus Group since November of 2016 and currently serves as an Account Manager for the accounting and finance team, working the Kansas City market. She has two years of experience in the staffing and recruiting industry, and holds a bachelor’s of science in speech communication. She recently relocated to the Omaha area and is enjoying life with her new husband and their two dogs. In her spare time, she enjoys working on their new home, attending concerts, and exploring her new city.